Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Thing 12: Hobbies

Craftsy: I set up a Craftsy account about a year ago, when I actually bought an online class on how to knit an intricate cableknit sweater. (I think I used a groupon to buy it?) Needless to say, I never completed the class. I just haven't had the time. But I did complete the first couple of sessions, and found the site and videos to be very user-friendly. Now that I have downloaded the app onto my phone and signed in, I see that my class is still there, waiting for me to complete it. I know Craftsy offers plenty of free classes too, so I do think I will use it more often, now that it is on my phone.

Epicurious: This is my first time to try this app. Up until now, the only time I have used my phone to access recipes is when I go to Allrecipes.com, because that is where I find a lot of recipes that I like. The Epicurious app seems a lot more streamlined, and I like that I can see which recipes have been most popular with other users by seeing the ratings on the first screen. For example, I did a search on French Onion Soup, and was given 103 recipes. It was very easy to swipe from one recipe to the next, and I quickly found one that received over 134 user reviews, with 91% of respondents saying they would make this recipe again. I also like the clear and simple browsable categories, and then my favorite categories: "I cook like a pro" and "I can barely cook". Something for everyone!

RetailMeNot: I am using my phone more and more often to access coupons, mostly from emails that various stores and restaurants send to me. I downloaded RetailMeNot, and clicked on the "Nearby" icon to see what deals are close by. When playing around with the app, I found a LOT of deals that were online only, and I don't do a lot of online shopping except through Amazon. But I see that listed as one of the retailers too.


No comments:

Post a Comment