Monday, July 20, 2015

Thing 10 - Augmented Reality

I had never heard of Augmented Reality before exploring this Thing, so I have definitely learned something new! I started by downloading and trying out Aurasma. It took several tries before I was able to create my own Aura. I am more of a "trial and error" kind of person when it comes to these apps - I am too impatient to read a lot of instructions. I found that this is not a "trial and error" kind of app. I also tried out the to the classroom projects posted by Theresa McGee, and can kind of see how Aurasma could be used in the classroom, but it just doesn't seem very intuitive.

Then I explored Layar, and will definitely keep this app on my phone. I used it to read a QR code in Whole Foods to access their coupons and calendar of events. One question I still can't find the answer to is whether or not you have to scan an actual Layar logo to access data. In the article "Why Layar is the Coolest iPhone App in the World", the author makes it seem like you can scan the buildings in front of you to access information, and that the app uses GPS data to show what is nearby. This is something I will try when I am in San Francisco in September.

So in summary, Layar is a keeper, Aurasma is not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment