Sunday, March 1, 2015

Thing 5: Maps

I thought I was already an expert on using Google Maps on my phone, but after doing some more exploration for this activity, I learned some new things!  I discovered the "Explore Around You" link that shows up at the bottom of the map when you type in a search for a destination.  It gives you choices in distance categories - places of interest within 5 or 10 minutes of walking, or 10 or 20 minutes of driving.  I could definitely see myself using this when I am in an unfamiliar area and am looking for a coffee shop, book store, gas station, etc.

I tried using the microphone to navigate to someone's house I needed to reach in the Geist area.  For me, it is really just about the same thing as typing in the address, since I am not coordinated enough to talk into my phone and drive at the same time.   But overall, when I am on the road, I definitely prefer the Google Maps' navigation to the app that my LG phone provides.  I haven't figured out a way to make the LG navigation "talk" to me, and I am very comfortable with Google Maps' audio directions.  I have to admit that I am finally a convert when it comes to the map app.  For many years, I had insisted on using physical maps that I had printed out, but I have moved past that.

I briefly looked at the other activities listed for Thing 5, but decided to just stick with Google Maps for my phone.  I will tell my husband about Waze though, as he has a fairly brutal commute down to Speedway every day, and traffic conditions are definitely an issue for him.

Added note:  I just saw an article in the January 19, 2015 edition of Publisher's Weekly, titled "Map vs. App".  Very timely!  Map vs. App  I guess the printed road atlases are still quite popular.  I agree that it can be very handy, not having to worry about GPS signals or a dead cell phone battery.



No comments:

Post a Comment