Friday, March 27, 2015

Thing 7: Books and Reading

I started this Thing by downloading the Kindle app to my phone.  I knew right away that this is an app that I will use all the time.  I borrow a lot of library books on my Kindle at home, so I already have an account set up through Amazon. The best part about using the app is the "Whispersync" feature - the app took me to the exact spot in my Kindle book where I left off last night!  In fact, the whole interface looks exactly like a miniature version of my Kindle's screen, which is still very readable on my LG phone.  Yay!  I'm very comfortable when things are familiar like that.  I also discovered that the app makes it very easy to highlight sentences and paragraphs to refer to later.  This will come in handy when I get ready to type up the book's review in my Goodreads account. It will be good to have all of these tricks in my back pocket for my ebook visits to the schools, where kids are using all kinds of devices.

Then I tried accessing my Zinio account on the staff ipad.  (The app was already downloaded for me.) I have not found Zinio to be user-friendly in the past, and did have a tough time getting to my account.  Luckily Erika is here today and helped me persist until I figured it out - I felt like I needed to give it an honest effort since there are patrons who will want to know about Zinio.  I finally accessed my account, and now am super excited to get my monthly copies of Taste of Home and Reader's Digest, without having the "dead tree versions" lying around my house.  I hate creating clutter for magazines like that, that I will read once and then feel guilty for wasting the paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment